Go Back   Pet Lovers Forum > Cat chat group > Cat Forums you can interact with cat lovers
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Cat Forums you can interact with cat lovers Discuss behavior, health and husbandry Pet lovers that volunteer their time and money saving and rehabilitating the ferals.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2002, 06:51 AM

Valdostas is on a distinguished road
Default Re: cat is scabby and bleeding w/sores

My cat has scabs all around her head, neck and ears. The ones I'm most concerned with is on her ears they have bleeding where she scratches on them.
I'm not sure if it is fleas causing this or what ... have seen some fleas on her and have also put some flea treatment on her to try to kill them, but it forced the fleas to migrate around her head and face.
In all my years of owning cats I have never seen anything like this. What can I do for her?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Spurl this Post!Reddit! Wong this Post!
Old 08-07-2002, 07:54 AM

Rachel2 is on a distinguished road

I'd take her to the vet and have it checked out.

Co-Moderator of
Ask Dr. Kolbert DVM
http://woodstockaf.com/
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Spurl this Post!Reddit! Wong this Post!
Old 08-07-2002, 07:57 AM

KL is on a distinguished road

Allergic reaction to something is the the most common cause of scabbiness spread around the body in cats, at least here in Virginia. Typically, the scabs are worst around their neck, under their chin and near the base of their tail with allergies. There are a number of other possible problems, though. Cats appear to develop multiple scabs -- "miliary dermatitis" -- as a response to many skin problems.

Cats can get this scabby with ringworm infections. Sometimes scabs are the only thing seen with ringworm infections. Without hairloss or the other things that make a vet think about ringworm, it can be overlooked.

Feline leukemia virus and feline immunodeficiency virus have both been linked to persistent skin disease and often it is a scabby condition. These would be serious problems if they are present.

Some cats develop these sores because they have ear mites or cheyletiella mites on their bodies.

There is a skin condition in cats known by several names but most commonly eosinophilic granuloma complex, that can cause scabby sores on the body. It is some form of immune mediated disease. Typically, the sores look more like raised scratches with hairloss in this disease but they can vary a lot in appearance. Clavamox or Baytril should work for most bacterial skin diseases so if the response is not good, it seems like it would be beneficial to look for one of the other problems.

Mike Richards, DVM

Only a veternarian would be able to diagnose this. I agree with Rachel, a vet check is in order!

Lisa Doyle
Cat and Feral Cat Moderator
End Euthanasia As The Answer To Feline Overpopulation - Spay or Neuter Your Cat!>^..^<
Old 08-07-2002, 08:33 AM

jmpnghorse is on a distinguished road

my old cat (long dead) always had a scab under one eye. we picked it off several times and it would bleed a bit and come back. even the vet didnt know what it was... she picked it off too and looked at it. he had it from the time we got him (as a young adult stray) until the time he died of old age.

but i agree scabs should be checked out by your vet - also, what type of flea treatment did you use? be very careful! a prescription from your vet (such as advantage or frontline) would have taken care of all the fleas, not just caused them to migrate.
Old 08-09-2002, 03:53 PM

lucky, fluffy & yoshi\'s mom is on a distinguished road

Just got back from taking my neighbor's cat to the Vet. Poor thing had scabs all over his face. At first my neighbor thought he was in a fight, but the scabs are old.

A little update of this first. This is my neighbor who had the momma cat that delivered 2 babies under her shed. She has never claimed these cats and it took her a very long time before she named them. If I remember correctly I think I told you of this story about 3 years ago. My neighbor is a good person (ok mabye a little nuts, but good hearted). She is a dog lover so cats are a new expierence to her. She has never taken Boston & Blackie to a vet. They were neutered by AZ Cats (Lisa & Kevin belong to this org.)

So, here we are with Blackie at the vet (Friday 5:15 pm, and my neighbor is a nervous wreck, I was standing with Blackie, comforting him) They checked him throughly and he had no fleas, ticks or ear mites, but his poor face was a mess. She also did cultures on his scabs and they came up negative for ringworm (yeah!) The only thing she could come up with was a possible allergy to his food. She gave him a anti-inflamatory injection and then some pills. Wants to see him back in 3 weeks to see if everything has cleared up.

One part of me is very happy that this poor cat doesn't have anything drastically wrong with him, but another is very angry with my neighbor for not noticing these scabs sooner [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] Poor Blackie was very good at the office, he was shaking and extremly upset. I'm so glad I was there for him! 3 years ago I wanted to "steal" him and Boston away, but......

So, the scabs can be from food allergies. But the best thing to do is have your Vet check them out. Learned something new today [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Bunny <^..^>
Old 08-13-2002, 12:20 PM

moosmom is on a distinguished road

Hi Valdostas,

I had a cat, Marina Mar, who developed painful scabs all over her ears, nail beds and pads. No one knew what it was. They thought it was earmites - it wasn't. Food allergy - nope. Finally, a very smart woman vet told me she thought it was Pemphigus Areolus. The only way to confirm it is to take a piece of her ear and have it biopsied. That's what it was. P.A. is a suppressed immune system that kills cells that make new skin. We tried all sorts of medication including Prednisone, Depomedrol. It was short term. The only other thing to try was a medication that was comparable to kitty chemotherapy, which might put the P.A. in remission. But the vet said it would make her sick and there was no guarantee it would work.

I had to make the painful decision to have Marina put down because how do you explain to a cat that she's being jabbed with needles every 3 weeks to check her liver function and to give her the medicine that will make her sick and might not work. It was the most difficult decision of my life. She was only in my life for 2 1/2 years but she meant the world to me, and I could not stand to see her suffer any longer.

I miss her so much. I hand fed her as a 3 day old kitten. She taught me all about bonding.

Purrrrsonal Concierge to 5 furbabies and one bald dude.

Pet Lovers Forum > Cat chat group > Cat Forums you can interact with cat lovers