Go Back   Pet Lovers Forum > Cat chat group > Cat Forums you can interact with cat lovers
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Cat Forums you can interact with cat lovers Discuss behavior, health and husbandry Pet lovers that volunteer their time and money saving and rehabilitating the ferals.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2002, 11:07 AM

rbardell is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cat urinates on plastic things

We have a spayed female that is almost 10 years old. In the last couple of years, she has started a nasty habit of urinating on anything within her reach that has a vinyl or plastic smell: shopping bags, backpacks, purses, coats, shoes, suitcases, rubber backed throw rugs, etc. In talking to my sister and a friend, both of them said their female cats do the same thing. Why does she do this, and what can be done to stop her? I've had the vet check her for urinary tract infections, and she's fine.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Spurl this Post!Reddit! Wong this Post!
Old 06-25-2002, 12:21 PM

meeno is on a distinguished road

oh my gawd. My male cat does the exact same thing!!!! I use to have a plastic bag of shopping bags until I discovered his nasty little secret. He will also pee on dirty cloths left on the floor. I know it's not his health or any change in the family. I hope some one has some ideas on this, cause I need to know how to correct this. My cat is 11 and only started doing this about 4yrs ago.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Spurl this Post!Reddit! Wong this Post!
Old 06-26-2002, 08:08 AM

Dr.D is on a distinguished road

From what I have been told, a tiny ingredient of plastic is fish oil (don't know if this is true), so it gives off a scent that is highly attractive to cats. Some cats chew and eat plastic because of this and others pee on it to make it smell right.

Because you have specifically told the vet about the inappropriate urination and the vet has checked for urinary tract problems, we know that we have to modify the environment to change his behavior. (As you know, the number one reason cats pee outside the litter box is because they have a urinary tract problem.)

So...what to do???? First, get rid of all rubber backed rugs. Keep your bathmat on the edge of the tub so the cat can't get to it. For the plastic/vinyl things you can't keep out of kitty's reach, try getting some Feliway and spray some on each of these objects. It will give the things a friendly cat smell which might satisfy your cat's urge to pee on the spot.

Also, decide whether the cat is peeing or spraying the objects. With peeing, he will squat and the pee will shoot down, with spraying, he will stand and the pee will shoot straight back (usually with a jiggle of the tail). The way to modify the behavior is different depending on whether it is peeing or spraying.

If it is peeing, please see this link for other ideas. If it is spraying, let us know and we will give you more ideas.

http://petswarehouse.infopop.cc/6/ub...35&m=271601621

Old 06-26-2002, 08:29 AM

jmpnghorse is on a distinguished road

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr.D:

So...what to do???? First, get rid of all rubber backed rugs. Keep your bathmat on the edge of the tub so the cat can't get to it.
Cats Moderato<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

oh my gosh, is that why my cat always peed on the bathmat? i finally gave up and put it away. we just deal with a bare floor in the bathroom now.

sara
Old 06-26-2002, 01:12 PM

Odiebear is on a distinguished road

When my kids were little, my cat Jake would always pee on their plastic bean bag chairs. What a surprise to sit down on them! In later years, I had a winter coat that she peed on when it accidently fell on the floor. I still remember the snobby lady at the dry cleaners when I brought it in to be cleaned. She looked down her nose at me and said so haughtily "we do NOT clean cat urine!" lol
Old 06-27-2002, 02:45 AM

mom of three again is on a distinguished road

Ahhh! Dr.D you have just answered the most puzzleing question I have since I started my life with my guys, Why Ali eats plastic and why Connie pees on it!

Leslie-Ann,
Moderator,
Cats,
Feral Cats,
Herbal Remedies,
Pet Memorial,
and Just for Kids.
Old 06-27-2002, 05:43 AM

rbardell is on a distinguished road

Thank you, Dr. D! We've already tried to eliminate anything plastic from the floor, but every once in a while, something gets forgotten, like when my daughter leaves her school backpack by the door. Thanks for the other tips. I'll try some of them. She was consistently peeing in one corner, but suddenly stopped. Now that you mention it, it occurs to me that it stopped about the same time that I put a CITRUS SCENTED air freshener in that corner. I think you may be on to something! Thanks again.

Pet Lovers Forum > Cat chat group > Cat Forums you can interact with cat lovers