Go Back   Pet Lovers Forum > Cat chat group > Cat Forums you can interact with cat lovers
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Cat Forums you can interact with cat lovers Discuss behavior, health and husbandry Pet lovers that volunteer their time and money saving and rehabilitating the ferals.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2003, 01:49 PM

Craftlady is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Flea Collar or Drops ???

Our gang has always had flea collars and wore them year round even tho they are indoor kids.
I discarded the collars last month. Trying to decide if I should put new collars on them or try the drops. The Hartz collars are what we used. Don't know that much about drops. Frontline versa Advantage. All I can tell difference is cost.

Drops or Collars? Any feed back greatly appreciated. Do they need flea protection if they are indoors all the time?
I've always put collars on them and wondered maybe it was not needed.

New photos of our kids Kids Photos
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Spurl this Post!Reddit! Wong this Post!
Old 04-26-2003, 04:24 PM

nirvanat is on a distinguished road

I'm not much of a cat person, but we use the frontline drops on our dogs and they work really well for them, so maybe it's the same for kitties. It's kind of a challenge getting them to sit still for it though, since it has to go right on the skin of their back.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Spurl this Post!Reddit! Wong this Post!
Old 04-29-2003, 08:02 AM

Dr.D is on a distinguished road

Frontline is excellent! Once it is applied, you won't see any more fleas for a full month. It is easy to use and works perfectly. I'm honestly not sure how it is different from Advantage but I know it works much, much better than collars. Also....do not buy the drops you get at the store. These drops have killed hundreds of cats. Only buy drops specifically made for cats and only buy from your vet.

Old 04-29-2003, 08:20 AM

joannaw1@aol.com is on a distinguished road

I have researched Advantage, Frontline, Program and Revolution for my cats. I found that Revolution seemed to be the best. It kills adult fleas and prevents flea eggs from hatching for one month. It prevents heartworm, treats and controls ear mites and treats and controls hookworm and roundworm infections. Revolution is actually made by Pfizer. I watched a news program show on Advantage that wasnt good. It talked about some really bad side effects from it that some animals had experienced. I was actually using Advantage at the time, so I talked with my vet about it and he gave me information on all the top liquid drop flea treatments. Program is good if you need to have the cat ingest the med rather than putting it directly on them. (I have a stray right now that I cant get close to and am not able to put drops on, but he eats everything, so I am using Program with him.) However, Program does not kill the flea eggs. It only kills adult fleas. Frontline I hear is pretty good too, but when I had to make the choice, Revolution made more sense for me and my cat family. I must say, that it seems to help them much better than the flea collars. Good luck!
Old 04-29-2003, 09:49 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr.D:
Also....do not buy the drops you get at the store. These drops have killed hundreds of cats. Only buy drops specifically made for cats and only buy from your vet.

Dr. D.
You mentioned don't buy at stores, What about online stores Pet Rx, petwarehouse? Regular pet stores like PetSmart?

One ? still remains, do they really need flea protection if they are strickly indoor cats?

Thanks everyone for all great information
Old 04-29-2003, 06:14 PM

StinaBeena is on a distinguished road

Our cats are strictly indoors and they get fleas MAYBE once every few years so i really don't think flea protection is necessary.
Old 05-01-2003, 11:34 AM

joannaw1@aol.com is on a distinguished road

I think it really depends on where you live and the flea situation in your area. I live in the Pacific NW, Oregon, and due to a very mild winter where we are, I am sure that the fleas will be thick this spring, summer and fall. Both of my cats are strictly indoors and I opt to treat them with Revolution. We have lots of barkdust around our home and that is a haven for fleas. My concern is that people coming into the house will bring the nasty critters in on their legs, clothing and etc. In-turn they will be transferred to the cats. I would rather treat the cats once a month than have to deal with an in-home flea infestation if I was not to treat them. However, in the winter or extremely cool weather, I tend to spread out the drops to more like every 45-60 days, but once the warmer weather hits.... back to once a month. It really is a safe, easy and effective way to control fleas and keep your cats healthy. Hopefully you had a good freeze this winter and wont have the severe insect problems that I am afraid we are going to encounter in our neck of the woods. Good Luck!
Old 05-04-2003, 09:06 AM

Dr.D is on a distinguished road

Yes, it is safe to buy Frontline, Advantage, Porgram and Revolution from places other than the vet as long as you make sure you use only the treatment made for cats.

But...do not buy the drops you can get at the grocery store, WalMart or PetsMart (or other general stores). It is this cheap flea treatment that killed so many cats.

I will try to find a previous thread about this and bump it to the top.

Old 05-07-2003, 01:05 PM

Just got back from our annual vet visit. Decided on Frontline Plus for the kids. Our vet did first treatment (so I could see how it works). His cost is $1.00 more than I can get it online. What was nice is I got 7 months for price of 6 months. However, that will only last 3 months for us since we have two kids.

Pet Lovers Forum > Cat chat group > Cat Forums you can interact with cat lovers