Go Back   Pet Lovers Forum > Cat chat group > Cat Forums you can interact with cat lovers
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Cat Forums you can interact with cat lovers Discuss behavior, health and husbandry Pet lovers that volunteer their time and money saving and rehabilitating the ferals.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2002, 10:12 AM

Default Re: How long does it take a cat to digest its food?

I'm trying to determine whether I need to change her diet.

She is 11 years old and weighs about 10lbs.

Thanks!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Spurl this Post!Reddit! Wong this Post!
Old 03-04-2002, 04:15 AM

This doesn't really answer the question of how long it takes but I thought it may help. It is from another site I frequent...

How should I switch my pet from one food to another?

Normal bacteria in the intestine help to digest food. A sudden change in food can result in changes in the number and type of bacteria and their ability to help digest food. Therefore, a pet needs to be switched to a new food slowly to prevent intestinal upset. By 'slowly' we mean over the course of 7-10 days go from feeding 100% of the previous food to 100% of the new food. For example, make a mixture that contains 25% of the new food and 75% of the old food and feed that for several days. Then make it 50-50 for several days, then 75% new food to 25% old food for several days. Then you can start feeding 100% new food. If at any time your pet starts vomiting, or has loose stools or appears constipated, slow the rate at which you are switching him over.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Spurl this Post!Reddit! Wong this Post!
Old 03-04-2002, 04:51 PM

Thanks, Mom of Three.

Actually, I'm trying to eliminate diarhea. My cat had her colon removed (twice - don't ask) recently and we are trying to get things back to normal as soon as possible.

I'm feeding her two flavors of Iams canned and I think one works better than the other, but I don't know which is which if you know what I mean.

I guess we can just wait until nature takes its course :->

Pet Lovers Forum > Cat chat group > Cat Forums you can interact with cat lovers