Go Back   Pet Lovers Forum > Cat chat group > Cat Forums you can interact with cat lovers
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Cat Forums you can interact with cat lovers Discuss behavior, health and husbandry Pet lovers that volunteer their time and money saving and rehabilitating the ferals.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2000, 09:47 AM

Default Re: My Siamese has gone crazy! HELP!

Hi all. I'am new to this board so bear with me. I have 2 Siamese cats. Musky and Teddy. And I recently brought a third new Siamese home. Her name is Annie. All are netered and spayed. All the cats are between 3 to 7 yrs old.
Muski and Annie have fought from the start. Muski growls like a tiger as soon as she is in the room and when we are not watching one attacks the other. Now FOR THE BIG PROBLEM!
Muski has started not using the cat box. She has begun to defacate and urinate on a carpet upstairs and the SURPRISE she left for me today was get this---on top of my refrigerator. I kid you not! She pooped on top of the frige!
She does nothing now except hide in the closet. Comes out ocasionally to eat and and of course to relieve herself. Lst night she began to howl in a loud and VERY disturbing way. She almost seemed forlorned. Help! will this stop if I get rid of the new cat? it's been about 3 to 4 weeks. Teddy and the new cat get along great. Any info would be appreciated.---Staci
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Spurl this Post!Reddit! Wong this Post!
Old 05-24-2000, 10:18 AM

I think you just need to give it a little more time. Don't forget that you have upset the balance of the cat's world. Is Musky usually the "Top cat?" this may expalin why she reacts the way she does. There are some ways to help the realationship along. Play time should be with each cat on it's own to make them feel special and then together to get them used with each other and to associate the other cat with fun times. I'm sure some of the other forum members will have some better suggestions. But time and patience is a big factor. Simply getting rid of the other cat is not going to help! Musky is upset and you are going to have to help her cope!
Good luck and let us know what happens.

[This message has been edited by mom of three again (edited May 24, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by mom of three again (edited May 24, 2000).]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Spurl this Post!Reddit! Wong this Post!
Old 05-24-2000, 11:06 AM

elimination problem may actually be medically ill, or sick. In cats that are eliminating in undesirable locations, consideration should always be given to the possibility of a true medical disorder, such as diabetes, kidney disease, bladder stones, vaginitis, colitis, etc. This is where the family veterinarian comes in. Obviously, it won't do much good to punish a cat for urinating on the carpet when the real problem is kidney failure.

Once medical causes for an elimination problem have been treated or ruled out, then we can say with greater confidence that any remaining elimination problems are most likely behavioral in origin. Controlling a behavioral feline house soiling problems usually involves some additional basic investigative work and a willingness to make some modifications to the pets' living environment. In this regard, it helps to be especially observant and to try to think like a cat.

There a number of steps a pet owner can take to control feline house soiling. Assuming, that is, that medical problems have first been eliminated by having the pet examined by a veterinarian. One of the first things to do is make sure you have enough litter boxes. Here is the rule for litter boxes: At least one clean litterbox per cat, per floor of house.

Booby traps represent another avenue of attack against feline house soiling. Placed in the location of the house soiling, booby traps may discourage pets from repeating the undesired behavior in the same location again. Booby traps can include things like two-sided carpet tape or aluminum foil, (both of which cats hate to walk on), a string of empty soda cans, small alarms set off by motion, balloons pre-arranged to pop against a tack on the wall when bumped by the cat, and mouse traps placed upside down . The idea is to provide a safe, quick scare when the cat approaches the problem area. To be safe, please contact your family veterinarian for advice before setting up any booby traps.

Preston Road Animal Hospital’s World Wide Web Site
Old 05-24-2000, 12:42 PM

Thanks for the info. Musky is the top cat. ( of course Teddy thinks he is too, but he is easy to fool [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] right now I have her in the basement where the box is. It is cleaned and I have even bought a new one. I really DO NOT want to get rid of the other cat. But after 2 weeks of this I was afraid to keep going.I want Musky to "come out of it" so to speak. And not traumatize her permanetly. thanks agin--Staci
Old 05-24-2000, 01:38 PM

make a much bigger deal about him than the others.

Top cats prefer to be in the physically highest locations in the room. So, set up a tip-top Musky spot in each room. (He "marked" the refridgerator which is likely the highest spot in the kitchen...his poop was his way of saying "This is mine -- stay off!") You might need to set up cat shelves in the windows or make/buy a cat tree (or even a spot on the back of the couch) so that he can be "top" guy again.

In general, do everything you can think of to help Musky and the others see that Musky is king and some of your problems might go away.

Good luck! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Pet Lovers Forum > Cat chat group > Cat Forums you can interact with cat lovers