Go Back   Pet Lovers Forum > Cat chat group > Cat Forums you can interact with cat lovers
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Cat Forums you can interact with cat lovers Discuss behavior, health and husbandry Pet lovers that volunteer their time and money saving and rehabilitating the ferals.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2001, 07:20 AM

Default Re: Why is my cat so stupid?

I have a 1 1/2 year old orange tabby that is so stupid it boggles the mind. his favorite place to sleep is curled up in the kithchen sink, his favorite food is yogurt, and his favorite pastime is shoving his paws under the door to my room to scare my lizards.Another one of his stupid habits is knocking things over. If you put a plastic cup, nomatter if it is full or empty, or anywhere in the house, he will knock it off while your back is turned. If it's glass, he won't so much as look at it. He also takes any opportunity to get into my room so he can stare at my lizard cages and scare the crap out of them by trying to swat them. I'll yell at him, scare him, punish him, spray him with water punt him (not really), or do anything else to him, but he still waltzes on in whenever he feels like it. He is fixed, is not a kitten,is declawed, and gets plenty of activity/play/ torture time when my little sister gets home, but he's still a stupid beast of death. I relly need a way to calm him down before he knocks another 250 dollar lamp of the table or kills anotherlizard, but I don't know how.

------------------
Amieva7
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Spurl this Post!Reddit! Wong this Post!
Old 04-09-2001, 08:41 AM

1.5 years is still very young for a cat and they can even exhibit kitten like tendencies until three or four. What you are describing are normal cat behaviors, not just something your cat does. He is not stupid at all just doing what comes naturally. The sink sleeping is because it is nice and cool, knocking things over and swatting at your lizards are playing. Slipping his paw under the door is because he is curious and wants to know what is going on on the other side!
Do not punish him for doing things that come naturally. Keep your door shut and he won't be able to get to your lizards, which are natural prey for cats in the wild! Move the $250.00 lamp to a place where he can't get to it!
When you adopt a kitten it is just like having a baby you have to cat proof your house. Cats do not know the difference between toys and antiques if they amuse the cat then it is far game and if you know he likes it then put it somewhere where he can't get at it.
Good-luck!

------------------
Leslie-Ann,
Moderator,
Cats,
Dog Behavior and Breeds,
Herbal Remedies,
Pet Memorial,
and Just for Kids.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Spurl this Post!Reddit! Wong this Post!
Old 04-09-2001, 09:25 AM

n a log all day and eats bugs? Of course not! That's what lizards do! So, mellow out a bit, keep your door shut, and enjoy the wacky antics of your cat!
Old 04-10-2001, 09:17 AM

As Mom of three said, if your cat likes something no matter how often you chase him away from it, the cat will go right back. Because first of all you gave him attention that he craves and he just likes to do what a cat does. If you have valuable items that the cat can brake. Move them to where the cat can not reach them. Ask Mom of three, Royal Doulton did not keep long in her house. As was mentioned, when you take on an animal, dog or cat, you take on another child and have to teach them and learn yourself from your experiences. <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dr.D:
Your cat is not stupid! Just as Mom of Three said, your cat is acting like a cat! Would you think your lizard is stupid because it sits on a log all day and eats bugs? Of course not! That's what lizards do! So, mellow out a bit, keep your door shut, and enjoy the wacky antics of your cat! </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 04-11-2001, 07:08 AM

ore. I came here looking for help like i normally get from the people in the reptile section, not just "sit back and watch your idiot cat destroy everything that exists," but actual ways of preventing or stopping him from doing what he does(and should not do.)
I don't know why he has this problem, it could be the fact that my friend dropped him on his face when he was a kitten ("listen, i know all about cats. you pick them up by the back legs, hold them upside down, and make sure to..OOPS.. i dropped yor cat on his head. oh well, not my problem, it's your cat!!"), and killed off most of his brain cells, but i guess i'll have to go somewhere else for the help i need.
Old 04-11-2001, 07:23 AM

You know how you became very defensive towards your beloved lizards? WELLLLL us cat lovers become defensive towards them. Maybe if you had worded your problem a little differently, you might have gotten the help you had expected. It's very hard for us as cat lovers to help someone that really doesn't seem to care much for their cat. It seems a lot of the problem is on your end with little patience and understanding on how a cat works.
Old 04-11-2001, 08:06 AM

Ouch! Gee I didn't think any of us were hostile or rude in our responses....but you sure were hostile in your question and in your last response to us. A good lesson for you to learn in life is that if you want to get something ask for it in a nice way. If you want to be refused, be mean and hostile.

Also...I wasn't cutting down lizards when I said that they sit and eat bugs! I happen to think lizards are really cool, and used to play with them when I was a kid. (We had lots of them in and around my house in Florida when I was growing up.) I was sinply trying to help you understand that you shouldn't be surprised when an animal behaves in the way it is genetically programmed to behave.

By the way...we do have lots of suggestions for aggressive and naughty behavior. Since you can't seem to ask for these suggestions nicely, you should try reading old posts for these ideas. If you do a little research and have a little patience, you might be surprised what you find!
Old 04-11-2001, 08:19 AM

A lot of your problem too is that cats do not respond well to PUNISHMENT! Your cat does not show remorse because he does not believe he has done anything wrong and how would you feel if you were punished for what in your mind was just playing! you would retaliate would you not, you would do things to get attention (good or bad)this is what your cat is doing!
As was stated you cannot come to a board filled with cat lovers and state my cat is stupid and then proceed to cut down the cat for doing what he thinks is fun but annoys you!!! You have to remember that the cat is not there to do what you want it is a living breathing creature that (like you)lives to make itself happy!
No one answered you in a hostile manner! I would have said something if they did!
Your post read more like a story than a question and we told you what we thought!
We are not psychics or swamies on this board if you need an answer to a specific question then you have to ask it. But again you are only going to be answered with our opinion!
HAVE A NICE DAY!!!

------------------
Leslie-Ann,
Moderator,
Cats,
Dog Behavior and Breeds,
Herbal Remedies,
Pet Memorial,
and Just for Kids.
Old 04-11-2001, 08:21 AM

I forgot to add that comparing your cat to your friends cat (whether they are related or not!) is like comparing apples to oranges each being be it a cat or lizard, is different!
Are you the same as your siblings do you act exactly the same as they would in the same situation?
Just something for you to think about.
As well as I said in my first post 1.5 years old is still very young for a cat!!!!!!
Give it some time!

------------------
Leslie-Ann,
Moderator,
Cats,
Dog Behavior and Breeds,
Herbal Remedies,
Pet Memorial,
and Just for Kids.
Old 04-11-2001, 03:26 PM

I hate to jump on the bandwagon.....however I have to agree with everyone here!!
First, your subject is "why is my cat stupid?"...which does NOT exactly express your caring for your cat. Second, you state that your cat is "stupid"...HOWEVER it manages to knock over the lamp "no matter what you do" and "opens closed doors"...feats that even a human twice that age can NOT seem to do!! On the contrary...your topic should be "why is my cat So smart!!" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

As to address your problems, if you read many of the other topics the answers are clearly stated there:

scroll down to topic "Help!": has answers to preventing cat from entering rooms.

"aggressive/biting cat": how to deal with biting problem.

people in this forum do try to be helpful to others...however calling an animal "stupid" is not exactly a way to convince "cat-lovers" over to your side. I think everyone can consider the slate clean and try to address the problems , if any of the other posts do not help. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Amieva7:
First of all, the 250 dollar lamp was already broken by the cat, even though it was moved to a place he couldn't reach. no matter what we do, he will find a way to knock it over if he wants to knock it over. we talked to his vet about his hyperactivity problem, and he says light punishment is really the only way to go if we want the cat to stop doing these things when he's older.Second, no matter what i do, that cat will always find a way to annoy my lizards. if there is a single door left cracked open in that huge cluster that leads to my room, he's in there. He has also figured out how to open a door by screwing around with the knob, or somehow convincing my dad that he isa stuck under the door and it will have to be opened for him. finally, don't knock lizards! they may not show companionship quite as well as some other animals, but they don't destroy things, and they don't come up purring and then start trying to ingest your nose! Despite what you have said, i think i'm going to have to go with the fact that my freind has a cat from the same litter, who is also male, and is very calm and sweet, despite the fact that he, too, has lizards that the cat could be trying to kill. My cat does have a problem. he bites very hard, drawing lots of blood while he's "playing," he can not possibly manage to be nice and sweet for more than about a minute at a time, after which he must go on an hour long murder rampage to balance it out, and he has not showed a single second "thought" about doing something bad, despite the fact that he has been punished for it before. I came here looking for help like i normally get from the people in the reptile section, not just "sit back and watch your idiot cat destroy everything that exists," but actual ways of preventing or stopping him from doing what he does(and should not do.)
I don't know why he has this problem, it could be the fact that my friend dropped him on his face when he was a kitten ("listen, i know all about cats. you pick them up by the back legs, hold them upside down, and make sure to..OOPS.. i dropped yor cat on his head. oh well, not my problem, it's your cat!!"), and killed off most of his brain cells, but i guess i'll have to go somewhere else for the help i need.
</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 04-12-2001, 07:20 AM

us the 45 dollar fee for "wasting his time with a dumb lizard.." we then complained about his treatment of us to the police, and found out that he wasn't really a lisenced veterinarian anyway, and all of those 50 diplomas on his wall were fake. we also found out that he had been arrested twice previously for fraud. I apologize for taking out all of my frustration on you, and for being so defensive about my lizards, and your advice actually is right, and thank you for caring enough to actually reply. i do love my cat, but i'm just really frustrated with all of this crap happening, and having him knock stuff over is just making it worse. also, when i said that he was stupid, i did not mean "stupid", i meant that he was annoying and frustrating and had very little common sense. As far as keeping him out of my room, i got a poster of this huge lizard with it's mouth open, and he's afraid to go anywhere near it. Now that all of my frustration is gone, please tell me all of your ways to get him a little calmer and not so destructive. Once again, sorry.

------------------
Amieva7
Old 04-12-2001, 12:29 PM

I think having pets are something like having kids; if you don't want something broken - put them away until they grow up. Just an idea. Hopefully your cat will grow out of these problems you have described, good luck.
Old 04-12-2001, 01:17 PM

See the old posts I pushed to the top "Sudden Aggression - Help" and "My Attack Cat." These posts address two different types of aggression. I hope they help.
Old 04-12-2001, 01:39 PM

I forgot to say how horrified I am at your experience with the so-called vet. That man needs to be locked away where he can't hurt any more pets or their people!
Old 04-12-2001, 05:47 PM

My cat is the same way! He's about the sme age. Once, since he's used to coming inside throgh the back door, he was right in front of the door(which was wide opened) but instead of going in, he ran to the back and sat at the door till someone let him in! He seems so dumb!!

------------------
*Percula*
Old 04-12-2001, 09:06 PM

Ameiva7:

I sure hope you got your money back for the wasted time with that unliscenced vet! Tell the credit card company that his charge was fraudulent if you did put the charge on a card. He doesn't deserve your payment.
So what happened to your lizard with the broken leg? How did it happen? Is he/she okay now, with a tiny cast or what?
Old 04-13-2001, 02:42 AM

Your cat sounds bored! I suggest you get him
a large female cat from your local pound! They'll tear around the house for a while, and pretend not to like each other, but in a month or so they'll come around to being consumed with where the other one is and what she/he's doing. It'll take the pressure off your lizards! Make sure you're committed to this relationship before getting another cat, it's at least a 15 year relationship!
Old 04-13-2001, 05:36 AM

I don't have anything of value to contribute, but I was pretty amused by the giant scary lizard poster and wondered if it's still working? It's funny that a cat smart enough to open doors and do all the other stuff you described wouldn't immediately figure out that's not a real lizard. If the effect hasn't worn off already I bet it will very soon...
Old 04-13-2001, 09:48 AM

I bought Gabriel this nifty little toy....cost me about 5 or 6 dollars in the grocery store. It's plastic and you hang it over a door. It has a small furry, feathered mouse hanging from a 4 foot elastic cord. It's perfectly about eye level for cats and they can bat it and chase it and you don't have to stand there holding it. Gabriel puts it in his mouth and tries to walk off with it then lets it bounce back so he can start over again! (For interactive playtime, we bought a fishing pole contraption with a mouse that squeaks at the end of a string). He has loads of krinkle-y mice, foam balls and a cat gym thingie. He still runs around like a maniac and occasionally gets into things he shouldn't be, but all the breakables are on the shelf in my closet.

Buy him some toys, maybe it'll help.
A good site to check out is
www.drsfostersmith.com
They have a lot of good stuff plus the toys I mentioned (except for the gym, that was at walmart by Hartz, for 15 dollars).

Good Luck!
-Nicole

------------------
*The mother of a spoiled, very cute, 8-month old Maine Coon, Gabriel.*
Old 04-16-2001, 07:22 AM

The poster's still working, the cat is fixed and is sacared to death of other cats, and the lizard got some medicine cause he didn't have a broken leg just an abscess.

------------------
Amieva7

Pet Lovers Forum > Cat chat group > Cat Forums you can interact with cat lovers