Go Back   Pet Lovers Forum > The Dog Forums > Dog Breed
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Dog Breed What is your favorite dog breed? - Puppy & Dog Forums. Discuss the traits and characteristics of different breeds and what breed may be best for you and your family.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2004, 06:10 PM

lislynhar is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My dog may be a Pit mix or a Boxer mix- how to tell?

Hi,
I'm new here and pretty new to message boards, so please inform me if I could be doing things better. I have two dogs, one is Baby who is probably about 8 years old and I think is a collie or shepherd mix- she is really pretty and very independant and smart. Fox is my younger dog- he is either a pit bull or boxer mix- I can't tell. He is not very smart but he makes up for it in personality. He is a big clown and very playful- he is 4.5, we got him as a puppy. I have alot of questions and comments to share but I will do that gradually. I'll start off with a question about Fox. We have been renting from a friend so his breed was not important, our friend knew he was not dangerous. But our friend is selling the house so we have found another house to rent. Dogs weren't a problem, but I did get asked specifically if the dogs were pit bulls. I said no, which isn't entirely dishonest because I don't know what he is (we got him when we were stationed in Sicily from a local Sicilian who had a dog that had puppies- he didn't know what breed his dogs were either.) He could probably pass for a mix with either boxer or pit bull in him. I'm a little afraid that when the landlord sees him he will think he is a pit (I have stated that I think he may have boxer in him.) Fox is not aggressive to people but he is very friendly and wants to greet new people and he is pretty adamant about it, even if we hold him back he tries to go see them- this may help enforce the image of an aggressive dog. I guess I'm just curious if there is any way to prove or disprove a dogs breed in case it ever becomes an issue? Plus, we will be buying a house in about 7 months and we may have insurance issues if he is a pit. Any thoughts or ideas? Sorry this is so long!

Thanks,
Lisa
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Spurl this Post!Reddit! Wong this Post!
Old 03-25-2004, 10:10 PM

Default Medal 

Rottnbelle is on a distinguished road

There are several things you can do. One is take your dog for obedience training and get a Canine Good Citizen certificate for it. Also, take the dog to the vet and ask for a probably predominant breed. Ask him or her to list the dog as that breed. In fact, when you become a new client at the vet they ask what breed. You can take the lead by entering boxer mix.

Also, put training on your dog so that it will lie down, stay, and leave it on command. Three of the most powerful and helpful behaviors for all situations.

Join a BSL list or contact the AKC at www.akc.org for more information and help with anything breed specific that is affecting you. To get alerts regarding legislation affecting life with certain breeds, go to http://www.akc.org/love/dip/legislat...ive_alerts.cfm. For information on getting Homeowner's Insurance go to http://www.akc.org/life/homeins/home..._inscenter.cfm.

Good luck in your new home.
Inga at Westminster
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Spurl this Post!Reddit! Wong this Post!
Old 03-27-2004, 04:19 PM

Thank you- great info and it all makes sense. I have to admit we have been lax about not teaching him certain commands- he learned Sit immediately but didn't take to any of the other commands and we gave up way too easily. It will probably be harder to teach him now but I will do it- he is highly motivated by food so I believe it is possible. Also, I will just start referring to him as a boxer mix- he looks enough like one to qualify I think. As far as the obedience training goes there are two problems: one is that he is very dog aggressive and unless we could get one on one time we wouldn't be able to take him to a class. The other is that my husband objects- I think he is afraid that too much training like that would have an effect on his personality, which we are in love with. He says that since we know the limitations and we control his environment and we don't put him in harm's way, we don't need the obedience training. So, I will probably lose that fight, but I am definitely going to do some home training with him myself.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:07 PM

Default Medal 

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The other is that my husband objects- I think he is afraid that too much training like that would have an effect on his personality, which we are in love with. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Husbands! Training does not change a dog's personality at all. You can redirect drives, but never kill them for instance. I do agree that at six or so it is late to start, but all dogs can learn. I use motivation. Never compulsion. You are never forcing the dog to do anything, he is cooperating for a reward.

Look into a motivational trainer, or buy a training video that uses this method.

The bottom line is that with breeds that are more and more being banned and blacklisted it is important to show our pets in the best possible light. If your dog is aggressive to other animals then the CGC would be impossible to attain, or nearly without overcoming that problem. The dog has to be able to meet another owner and dog and behave himself while the two owners exchange greetings. AKC CGC Info

There are insurance companies and states that do not allow breed specific bans. Pennsylvania is one. What state are you in? I can check the list for you.
Inga at Westminster
Old 03-27-2004, 11:38 PM

Thanks, I am in Florida. I looked up the CGC info on the AKC website that you directed me to and I think he would pass all but a couple, the main one being the one about the other dog. I will work on him and who knows, maybe with more training I will discover that it might be possible to re-socialize him with other dogs. I have done some more research on pit bulls and he seems to fit the personality to a T and they pretty much all say you have to constantly be prepared for them to fight another dog,even if you have never seem them fight before. I also did more research on Boxers- he looks more like a boxer, esp from his puppy days, and the Boxer personality seems pretty similar to the Pit Bull personality, except for the dog aggressiveness trait. Maybe he has some of both. I tried to find laws in Florida and in the county we are moving to (Pasco County) and I don't seem to see any breed restriction legislation, just aggressive and vicious dog legislation. Florida doesn't seem to be as bad as other states, yet. I think individual towns can also have legislation so I will have to look into Hudson. I agree about having him be a good example- the more I am reading about some of the breed specific legislation and the terrible things people do to pit bulls and how so many of them need homes, I want to help, so I will not do anything that will add to the bad reputation of the breed. Thanks again for all your great advice. (I love Rottweilers- they are so beautiful- I have thought I would like my next dog to be a Rott. Now I may adopt a Pit, though.)
Old 03-28-2004, 12:01 AM

Default Medal 

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Florida doesn't seem to be as bad as other states, yet. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well stay away from Miami-Dade. Total ban on pits in effect. They are confiscated. And that doesn't mean put up for adoption, they make a one way trip to animal control.

Work on the positives, be sure your county has no BSL in the works. You can contact Jan Cooper via www.rott-n-chatter.com. She was talking about taking the website down, but I think it is still in operation. She's a great advocate for a dog owner with connections to ADOA and other dog advocacy organizations. Good luck with your boy.
Inga at Westminster
Old 03-29-2004, 12:50 PM

SHUEZQ is on a distinguished road

I moved to Pasco County last summer and adopted an American Bulldog. There are deed restrictions in my neighborhood against Pit Bulls, and one person thought that was what I had until I explained it. Most other people take one look at her and ask, "Is she freindly?" And I answer, "Yes, is your dog?" People tend to fear any large dog, but especially one that looks like a bully breed.

Try not to be discouraged by people's ignorance. How does your dog-aggressive dog get along with your other dog? My dog does fine when at another dog's house, but she is aggressive on her own turf.

I can tell you that when we used to go for walks she used to jump up and pull and bark at other dogs. I now enforce the "sit" command and will repeatedly push her rump down if need be. She is slowly learning to not be so hyper around other dogs. I am also using this to teach her not to jump on people.

Good Luck!
Old 04-06-2004, 07:07 PM

Fox gets along great with Baby, my other dog, but she was there first and he has been with us since a puppy. She was always the dominant one until about 2 yrs ago- he is now in charge and she seems fine with it. They don't fight, but occassionally they quarrel- nothing serious- mostly alot of noise and neither one seems to come out on top. He got along with other dogs that came to visit when we were in Sicily but as soon as we got to the States, he became dog aggressive. I think since he was around the other dogs since he was a puppy, that is alot of it. Then, it was a big change to move back here and he was probably affected by that but I also think it is something that has come with age. I know that alot of what I see is him protecting his turf. Sometimes when we are on walks, he doesn't seem too upset by other dogs as long as they aren't close. I don't take him around friends dogs because I can't take a chance and all my nearby friends have small dogs. We have recently talked about getting a puppy to bring in to the mix- Baby is getting pretty old and Fox still has lots of energy- Baby just won't play with him. Plus, we would like to have another dog in place when Baby is gone. But I don't feel comfortable at all about introducing another dog yet- I think if we could survive the first day we would be okay, but that first day is pretty scary. I'm just not ready to attempt that yet. You know, I have friends who haven't met Fox that think I should either get rid of him or that I am silly for getting a dog like him in the first place. But I just love him so much - he and Baby got me through some lonely times in Sicily and there is not an hour that goes by when I am in his presence that he doesn't make me laugh. I feel extremely lucky to have him in my life- he is completely precious. I think most people don't get it, thankfully the folks on this board do get it! (By the way, last night was the first night in the new house- Fox loves it, Baby is always leery of change and will take a few days to get accustomed. The house is on a canal and a manatee greeted us last night! There are alot of birds and fish jumping in the water, so this is alot more interesting for them than our previous place. Fox worries me because he gets so close to the seawall- I think I will have to put some kind of small edging around it to keep him from the edge. My husband met the neighbors and said they seemed very nice and had no problems with us having dogs and not to worry about barking, so that is a relief. They don't bark much anyway, but some people are really intolerant of it. I think the only time they have barked so far was at a duck that sat on the corner of the house teasing them by being on their property and not afraid of them. He stayed there for 30 minutes.)
Old 04-07-2004, 10:41 AM

SHUEZQ is on a distinguished road

I used to have a dog that didn't care about birds except for ducks. He went crazy barking at them whenever they were in the canal. He woke us all up one night because he could hear them quacking out on the water. It must be something about ducks......

I wouldn't have worried about the water's edge, but my dad had one of our dogs out on the dock and the next thing he heard was a big splash! I don't know if she thought it was solid, saw her reflection, or what--but it was the only time she did it!

Is your pit mix fixed? If not, this may alleviate some of his aggression. If you do get another dog, see if there is a young dog up for adoption. It's easier at this stage to rate a dog's temperment. It would still be playful, but perhaps a bigger match for your Baby. I would look for something even tempered like a Lab mix (pretty common) that would be fun-loving but not over aggressive back. At first you may have to crate one or more dogs when you are not home to keep it safe. When my sister-in-law visits with her dog, we keep the dogs separated by keeping one in a room by itself. The dogs have been loose together before, but sometimes there is snapping and snarling. We just don't want to take the chance.
Old 04-17-2004, 12:05 AM

Default Medal 

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> he and Baby got me through some lonely times in Sicily and there is not an hour that goes by when I am in his presence that he doesn't make me laugh. I feel extremely lucky to have him in my life- he is completely precious. I think most people don't get it, thankfully the folks on this board do get it! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That sure does resonate over here. I am going through my old girl being sick and it's killing me. She's almost 11 and I just showed her at the Nationals in Veterans Sweeps. She didn't win. She was the most out of shape of the group which ranged from 9 years to 11. There's a lot of aging going on at the top end of that spectrum so she was the oldest, and least in shape. But I love her and she was asked to participate in a healthy dog DNA survey for older rotties.

However, on the trip home she started to be bothered by her eyes and on our first morning home both her eyes were red and swollen. I thought she caught something at the show and made an appt with the vet. However during the exam my vet who knows how dottie I am about Inga said "this isn't good". All I could do was plead with her not to scare me. But the news although presented gently was not good. Inga has lymphosarcoma!

Right now I am just trying to figure out how to keep her alive and happy for the longest period of time. Taking her to the vet when she does something worrying. I am devastated by this news even though I knew she would not live forever, I think I dreamed that she would fall asleep gently of old age one day.

I certainly do understand because Inga has gotten me through the loss of my family through death and divorce and now it's "you and me, Babe".
Inga at Westminster

Pet Lovers Forum > The Dog Forums > Dog Breed