Go Back   Pet Lovers Forum > The Dog Forums > Dog Training & Behavior
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Dog Training & Behavior Why did my dog do that? talk about training, about behavior problems and about the show rings

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2002, 06:10 AM

rbardell is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dog "piddles" when excited

We have a 9-month-old golden retriever puppy that we took in a couple of weeks ago. We adopted him from a family of a husband, wife and two girls age 10 and 12. Our household is very similar, except we only have one girl age 14. Our personalities, demeanors and lifestyles are very similar to the family we adopted him from. With his former family, he was very attached to the man of the house. Since we adopted him, he's attached himself to me, the woman of the house--he's with me wherever I go. Here's the problem: Whenever my husband greets the dog, he gets all excited and pees all over (the dog, not my husband). He never does it with me or my daughter, only with him. We read somewhere that he should try ignoring the dog until he calms down, then acknowledge him. We tried that, but he still pees as soon as he gets acknowledgement, even if it's 15 minutes later. I figure it must be some male authority figure thing, since he only does it with my husband, and not with me or my daughter. Otherwise, he's VERY well trained, and he's never had any accidents in the house. His former owner said he never had this problem with them. Any suggestions on how we can get him over this?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Spurl this Post!Reddit! Wong this Post!
Old 07-05-2002, 09:29 AM

Default Medal 

Rottnbelle is on a distinguished road

It is interesting that he follows you around and piddles for your husband. Sounds like a submissive dog, which is great because they usually don't try to move up in the hierarchy! But they do piddle submissively and sometimes lick a lot.

The dog is so overwhelmed by your husband that he can't control himself even after the initial excitement wears off.

Perhaps your husband's voice is larger than life to the dog. Has he tried greeting the dog without speaking? Usually the dog will begin to feel comfortable and not pee submissively for family members, but may do it with strangers still.

Confidence training - agility, obedience, etc. - are good ways to get a dog feeling better about themselves. Also, if your husband ever corrects the dog it will take longer.

Eventually this should resolve itself, especially as the dog gains confidence.

Lynn, Jugendliebe Rottweilers
Moderator, Dog Breeds, Dog Behavior, Show Ring & Grooming Tips
"Breeder of Oz the Amazing", owned and loved by Dawn Fillips
http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/...0522904925.jpg
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Spurl this Post!Reddit! Wong this Post!
Old 07-05-2002, 09:42 AM

Default Medal 

Here's a nice article I found on the subject:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Submissive Peeing
Why does my dog pee when I pet him after I return from being gone for an extended period of time?

Dawn Littlefield
Littlefield Kennels

Why does it happen?
It is a submissive gesture (sometimes it is a fearful thing that they just can not control.) You can not punish them because it is something that they are not doing on purpose and they can not help it. If your dog is young she will most likely outgrow it.

How do I work on stopping it?

Move slowly, and build her confidence. Walking sideways or backward, with your hand held out with a treat, and stopping when you see her start to squat and let her come to you. Keep the praise to a minimum. You can talk sweetly, but do not bend down toward her, or look at her in the eyes. When you walk into the house and she runs to you, do not stop and reach down to pet her. Go to the bathroom or do something besides greeting her immediately. Have a treat, one that will last awhile, in your pocket and when you walk in just toss it (not at her) on the floor. Or even better, if she will take it from your hand while you are standing, so she can't sit down. Then go do something until she calms down. Do not get on the ground with her and do not lean over her. Try not to face your dog head on.

A little later, let your dog come to you and just stroke her slowly and speak to her in a calm voice. It may take awhile, but it can be done.

You can gradually adjust your motions as you see her confidence building. We have rescued many dogs with that problem and we have been able to adjust the behavior in most cases. I had a little Pomeranian that we were fostering and nothing was working. Finally I taught her to jump into my arms when I walked in the door. So, when we placed her with her new home they were tickled to have her jump in there arms every night. That is not the answer for some, especially if you have a big dog. But in the Pomeranians case it was the best thing to do so she could go to a loving and permanent home. Do not do that if you think it will irritate you. Think of the long run when you come in tired, but you know you have to catch that little rascal and love on her before you can do anything else. But, it does save the Carpet and your patience.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/...0522904925.jpg
Old 08-07-2002, 03:01 PM

Miss Prissy is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem but it only happens when my daughter comes to visit, my dog gets so excited she pees all over the floor, and herself if she is rolling on her back. She only does it with this one daughter no one else, my daughter Kathy stayed with us for near a year as her husband died, and I guess my dog got very attached to her. I too am looking for the answer to this problem. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Miss Prissy
Old 08-13-2002, 04:27 PM

LadyTaalia is on a distinguished road

Hi, I have a similar experience. I adopted a mix breed Australian Shepard female in October, she was approx. 1 1/2 years old and she is an excited piddler and also a boredom chewer. So not only did she tear up the house if I was gone longer than 30 minutes but she'd pee as soon as I walked in the door she was so happy I was home. Well, since October she has calmed down only slightly. She has enough toys that she "rarely" chews anything else (except a particular kitchen chair I just found out about) but we still have the piddle problem not as bad though. Like it says in a previous post, I have to ignore her when I come home (very hard to do) until she chills a little. Then I let her come and say hi after I've done a few things and sit down. And she does it to everyone, not just one person. But they say they will grow out of it as they get older as long as they have a good steady environment. Just be patient with her and I'm sure you'll see improvements.
Old 08-14-2002, 01:50 PM

Default Medal 

It is totally submissive behavior which will improve when she is feeling better about herself. Things that help are interactive activities like obedience, agility, play time, etc. She will grow out of it if she is encouraged to be less submissive.

Submissive behavior is a nice thing for the most part as you will not have a dog who challenges you, but this level of submission does require confidence boosting.

Good luck with her. Perhaps your daughter is more stern with her than the rest of the family and she sees her as dominant. Doggie dynamics are really interesting. Every new situation and the addition of new pets, and vice versa can change the whole dynamic, just like adding or losing humans in your home changes how everyone reacts to one another.

Inga at Westminster
Old 08-14-2002, 02:39 PM

Miss Prissy is on a distinguished road

I do hope someone has the answer to this problem, my dog still pees on the floor when my daughter of 36 comes to visit, she gets so excited; it is not a squat down pee, it is a drag the bum or flip over pee, so I guess it is some thing to do with her being too excited to see Kathy. She doesn't do this with anyone else, [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]and I guess that would be my question. If anything my daughter paid a lot of attention to her and played where my husband and myself like to keep her quiet, [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] she is such a big dog. 70+lbs so I really don't want her charging at me, unfortunately this happens when Kathy comes to visit and this is when the peeing starts. I have now started to take her outside when I know Kathy is coming; at least then she doesn't pee on the floors only on the grass.

Miss Prissy
Old 08-17-2002, 02:42 PM

mickeydee1984 is on a distinguished road

My shepard mix was doing the same thing but he seems to be doing it less and less as he gets a little older...he is 7mos now...he charges right through all of us to get to my husband and then piddles while he pets him...he cant control himself...so my husband stays outside until he is calm then they both come in together...like is said though it is subsiding now.
Old 08-18-2002, 04:09 AM

Default Medal 

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Miss Prissy:
she gets so excited; it is not a squat down pee, it is a drag the bum or flip over pee, so I guess it is some thing to do with her being too excited to see Kathy. Miss Prissy<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is not excitement, it is submission. She is more than likely wiggling and lowering her body, looking up at your daughter almost over her own shoulder. This will usually also be joined with a release of piddle. Then she will roll over to completely submit herself.

Learning dog behavior makes solving some problems a little easier. It is not a matter of over excitement, it is a matter of over submission where your daughter is concerned. She is seen as a dominant pack member. This is not always easy to fix, except that if your daughter spends more time with her sitting on the floor with her for instance, scratching her under the chin not on the head, and a few other behaviors will increase your dog's feeling of equality. I would also suggest that your daughter totally ignore her until she has stopped being submissive. Petting her and soothing her during this just sends a message that the behavior is okay and is being rewarded. I have worked with a similar problem more than once and I never pet a dog who is sidling and rolling over.

Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

Inga at Westminster

Pet Lovers Forum > The Dog Forums > Dog Training & Behavior