Go Back   Pet Lovers Forum > The Dog Forums > Dog Training & Behavior
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Dog Training & Behavior Why did my dog do that? talk about training, about behavior problems and about the show rings

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2003, 08:33 AM

ccook is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dog Runs Away

I posted before about my dog fighting with one of my cats. They finally seem to be getting along better - knock on wood!

However, this dog keeps trying to run away and that is driving me nuts! Most of the time, he listens well - come, sit, down, leave it, etc. He is only outside when we are. If we can't pay full attention to him, we tie him up.

Sometimes something will just catch his eye (like a squirrel) and he will take off without looking back. I don't know if he would come back or not, because someone always ends up catching him and calling me. He does at least stay away from the road because he is afraid of cars.

We can't fence the yard (we have horse fencing up and he can slip under that). We tried a training collar, but he only responds to it sometimes. I think it probably needs to be tighter to maintain contact with his skin, but I can't bring myself to tighten it any more.

I don't punish him when I go pick him up because I know that is wrong, but I can't make myself praise him either.

I try doing the "run the other way" calling him thing, but he doesn't even look at me - just keeps running.

Any ideas? I hate that I can't trust him for a second. It makes it harder to wear him out, since a game of "fetch" can turn into a game of "which neighbor will call me about my loose dog" in seconds.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Spurl this Post!Reddit! Wong this Post!
Old 08-16-2003, 10:45 AM

Default Medal 

Rottnbelle is on a distinguished road

Don't love him so much that he is hit by a car. Find out if the collar is working correctly. Buy a perimeter invisible fence and work with him with it. They are not expensive.

I know how tricky they can be. When a dog runs away the smartest thing is to walk away from the dog not chase it. However, it takes a lot of guts to do that. Also an old trainer said that when calling your runaway dog you should kneel and be at dog level. It works sometimes, then treat and praise. Good luck.

Lynn, Jugendliebe Rottweilers
Moderator, "The Dog House" and its forums
Breeder of Oz the Amazing", who is owned and loved by Dawn Fillips
Inga at Westminster
Puppy Gazette
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Spurl this Post!Reddit! Wong this Post!
Old 08-18-2003, 10:24 AM

Shonna is on a distinguished road

Another thing you can do is just get a really long lead, and keep him on leash every time you go out, since he has a tendency to run.
Old 12-26-2003, 08:17 AM

JKKsEuroDobermans is on a distinguished road

You are right not to correct the dog when he comes. Never ever correct a dog when it comes to you it will always associate coming to you with being corrected. start practicing come here inside with a leash and a prong collor, with treats do not give him the treat every time keep it random and keep him guessing. Do praise him big time every time he comes to you. Once you know he knows the command if you do not know how to use a prong collor properly I can give you a link that will show you. always talk calmly to him come here good boy . If he does not come go to him once you know he knows the command calmly say NO No No do not yell. Walk up to him while you do this and three quick pops straigh up if he does not yelp he did not feel it right to where you were standing when you said come here then praise and reinforce come here, rub down, favorite toy whatever gets him happy.. This can and will probably save your dogs life. do not use a choke chain can cause serious damage to your dogs neck the prong collor wont. After a you have this down pack in the house move to the yard with a 50 foot lead. Have lots of distraction going on even better go to the park to practice if you can.if he does not come step on the lead same correction no no no all the way back to where you called him from originally then, come here. good boy! when you reach that spot and rub down they figure it out really quick. Remember your dog is not trained until he is trained in distraction.I have 4 dobermans and i breed them we teach all my pups this way positive reinforcement from the start helps, but it is not too late. I taught Ginger this when she was two and boy she use to run every chance she got. Now she knows that front door can be wide open she will not bolt.The down stay is an excellent thing to teach with the come here too. it could save his life.
Marcia Jasinki
owned by 3 kids and 4 dobie Angus (Latvia), Kleo(Russia) Ginger and BellaDonna
Old 12-26-2003, 09:39 AM

Default Medal 

Rottnbelle is on a distinguished road

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If he does not come go to him once you know he knows the command calmly say NO No No do not yell. Walk up to him while you do this and three quick pops straigh up if he does not yelp he did not feel it right to where you were standing when you said come here then praise and reinforce come here, rub down, favorite toy whatever gets him happy.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would only use a prong collar if the problem was critical, and a dog running into traffic is critical. I totally agree that positive reinforcement is the best training, but when you have the possibility that the dog may be hit by a car or lost, using a training collar and giving a good correction is also good advice. Depending on the sensitivity of your dog, you might want to try a police training collar first. Prongs are good when used carefully and on dogs with a tolerance for other corrections.

Lynn, Jugendliebe Rottweilers
Moderator, "The Dog House" and its forums
Breeder of Oz the Amazing", who is owned and loved by Dawn Fillips
Inga at Westminster
Puppy Gazette

Pet Lovers Forum > The Dog Forums > Dog Training & Behavior