Go Back   Pet Lovers Forum > Tropical Fish Forums > South American Cichlid Forums Neotropical
Forgot Password? Join Us!

South American Cichlid Forums Neotropical Ask questions about setting up, breeding, or keeping all types of South American Cichlids

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2002, 11:18 AM

SkyeBleu is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Guppies and Swim Bladder

I have lost three guppies in three days. The first one was a male and I had no idea why he died, I never saw him sick. I found a baby guppy after that alive. I then lost my very pregant female who start acting like she had swim bladder disease--she was swimming with her head pointing down. Then I lost a red tail male today. He was doing the same thing except he was swimming with his head pointing up. All three of them showed no other symptoms. I did a salt bath for the last guppy and he seem to rally but died anyway this morning.

I have 2 corycats, 1 neon, 1 baby fry guppy in a breeding net, and 5 more guppies one of whom is very, pregant. The newest fish is over a month old. I put melafix in the water and I have added salt and are continuing to add more after doing a 25% water change this am. The PH is 7.0, temp is 76-78, Amonnia is 0 and I was told my nitrates were trace but not a problem in a 10 gallon tank. I have fed all flake food using the one that allows you to dial up to four different types of food. I added some chopped lettuce this am but no one is eating it.

Should I treat the whole tank with Jungle Elimnator? I have that on hand and read it can cure swim bladder or do I wait for more to get sick? How much H20 change to get the one dose of Melafix out and will this hurt the baby? I have no other place to put the baby at this time. Thank you.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Spurl this Post!Reddit! Wong this Post!
Old 12-12-2002, 10:38 AM

Frank M. Greco is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Guppies and Swim Bladder

This problem is not unusal to guppies, but tends to occure in newly purchased specimens, not in fish that have been in the tank a while. This sounds like a systemic bacterial problem, and I would suggest feeding all your fish antibacterial medicated flake food (Aquatronics makes it) at 3%-5% of the estimated body weight of the fish for 10 days. this should clear up the problem. The MelaxFix will not help as it is for external, not internal, problems. Same with the Jungle product. This is a condition that needs to be treated from the inside.

Frank M. Greco
Professional Aquarist
http://www.frankmgreco.com
http://www.franksaquarium.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Spurl this Post!Reddit! Wong this Post!

Pet Lovers Forum > Tropical Fish Forums > South American Cichlid Forums Neotropical