Go Back   Pet Lovers Forum > Tropical Fish Forums > South American Cichlid Forums Neotropical
Forgot Password? Join Us!

South American Cichlid Forums Neotropical Ask questions about setting up, breeding, or keeping all types of South American Cichlids

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2001, 06:52 AM

Default Re: is pollen deadly?

help!

In an established and previously healthy tank, I'm suddenly losing fish right and left. Survivors are lying on bottom, lethargic, not eating, with swollen redness around pectoral fins.

Possible introduction of irritants include pine pollen that was finely coated on the python that I used to clean the tank two days ago, or used substrate from a couple of smaller tanks that was added about a month ago.

The 5 lbs of used substrate was added from two six gallon eclipse tanks back into the 30 gallon that I had originally borrowed it from for rearing fry. The water in the 30 gallon has had a tendency toward cloudyness ever since I added the substrate back.

When I lost a gorgeous snowball pleco and some of the lemon lab fry night before last, I did a 75% water change, added three teaspoons of cichlid salt, raised the temp to 78F. Yesterday I lost two lamp. compressiceps, so did a 10% water change. This morning I had two dead loaches, one clown and one zebra. Noticed a few white spots two other clowns this morning along with a mottled skunk botia and mucous laden striatus so I removed the carbon and put in 13 drops of malochite green into the 30 gallon tank.

Feel like I'm grasping at straws here..... the water is still cloudy but fish are beginning to eat and swim around again. Several have the red swollen irritation around pectoral fins. Any suggestions?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Spurl this Post!Reddit! Wong this Post!
Old 03-06-2001, 07:08 AM

What kind of fish are currently in the tank?

Catfish are sensitive to malachite green and salt...

The white cloudyness is a bacterial bloom and is OK. Have you tested your water for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate/PH ? and maybe GH/KH?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Spurl this Post!Reddit! Wong this Post!
Old 03-07-2001, 09:14 AM

How long had it been since your previous water change? If it had been a long time, it's possible the pH in the tank had dropped considerably (as will happen in tanks that are overstocked or that don't have regular water changes), and that the new water was quite a bit different in pH to cause pH shock. Rapid changes in temperature can also be deadly.

75% is really too much water to change, more so if it has been a long time since the previous water change. My guess is they may have experienced pH and/or temperature shock. Stability is vital to fish's health. It's always better to change a little water more often than it is to change a whole bunch all at once.

------------------
Twila
Moderator, Freshwater & Goldfish Forums
><[[">
Old 03-07-2001, 07:00 PM

I agree TWILA. Fish that are not used to regular water changes are far more likely to have these sudden deaths due to frequent water changes. The fish adapt quickly to poor water quality and when the water is suddenly changed-they are stressed. I change all my regular tanks at least 50% weekly.The sick ones are daily And I maintain 10 tanks plus a new vivarium with red eared sliders that I couldn't refuse. Have salt available for the tanks that you cannot always get to.As I say- don't buy something that you cannot care for properly!There is no minimum for taking care of animals.Buy a book and read up!

Pet Lovers Forum > Tropical Fish Forums > South American Cichlid Forums Neotropical