Go Back   Pet Lovers Forum > Tropical Fish Forums > South American Cichlid Forums Neotropical
Forgot Password? Join Us!

South American Cichlid Forums Neotropical Ask questions about setting up, breeding, or keeping all types of South American Cichlids

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2001, 07:12 AM

Default Re: Serpae Tetras, Male or Female?

I have two Serpae tetras and I was wondering how to tell them apart, male or female. I wanted to breed them, but have had them for 2-3 months with no eggs so I must have the same gender, but in order for me to purchase a few more, I need to know how to tell them apart.

------------------
April Wall
JR Moderator of Freshwater Fish
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Spurl this Post!Reddit! Wong this Post!
Old 08-09-2001, 05:24 PM

Females are slightly larger and wider.

------------------
Joe Hackman
Moderator - Freshwater Fish Forum
My Tropical Fish Page
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Spurl this Post!Reddit! Wong this Post!
Old 08-10-2001, 08:00 AM

Thanks! I think they're females.

------------------
April Wall
Old 08-10-2001, 07:00 PM

Ok, I have 2 questions on serpae tetras. Are they good for community tanks or are they nippy like tiger barbs? Are they easy to breed? Thanks!
Old 08-10-2001, 07:35 PM

I have two in a community tank, and have seen small parts missing from tails like the size of the line of the letter "l". Nothing like Tiger Barbs. I do not know how they breed {easy, hard}, I first wanted to know how to tell male from female. I do, however, know they are egg layers/scatterers.

------------------
April Wall
Old 08-10-2001, 08:15 PM

The reason I ask about all this is because these were my first fish and I couldn't remember their behavior. I really remember that I liked them a lot. If I got like 5 of them would they be ok in the tank. My tank is extremely peaceful though. Thanks!
Old 08-11-2001, 06:39 AM

I think so. I want to add about 2 or 3 more to my tank and about 4 neon tetras. If my mom will take me to the pet store any time soon.

------------------
April Wall
Old 08-12-2001, 07:07 PM

I have five hi fin serpae tetras in my tank. They are with a bunch of aggressive and no aggressive fish. They all seem to be getting along good. I've never seen eggs, I'm assuming that they get eaten as fast as they are layed.
Old 09-15-2001, 08:43 PM

I have just recently come across regular serpae tetra's. If you see Hi Finned ones, they are a much prettier fish. Long flowing fins. I haven't seen them to be agressive. I have five.

Pet Lovers Forum > Tropical Fish Forums > South American Cichlid Forums Neotropical