Go Back   Pet Lovers Forum > Reptile Forum > Reptile and Amphibians
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Reptile and Amphibians Here's a place to ask questions about setting up, breeding, or keeping all types of herps. including tarantulas, scorpions, millipedes, centipedes, terrestrial hermit crabs, etc.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2002, 04:58 AM

Daemoniac is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Eastern Box Turtle Eggs

Need Help,
Have hatched snake and turtle eggs before, but have never experienced them colapsing approx. 2 wks before they expected hatch date, the eggs have started to cave in, and two have split open, I have peeked inside and the baby turtles inside are still alive, but obviously too small to survive on their own, not to mention the fact they are still attached to the yoke sach. I have never incubated box turtle eggs before, is this normal. So far I have just kept them in a plastic shoebox, buried half way in vermiculite, kept them moist, and in a warm dark place approx. 75 deg. +/- 1 deg. Anyway if anyone has any comments or advice, I would surely appreciate it!

Thanks AL
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Spurl this Post!Reddit! Wong this Post!
Old 07-29-2002, 02:22 AM
Administrator

Default Medal 

Bob is on a distinguished road

I've seen them colapse before and have latter hatched ok.The splitting is a problem they will dry out. Let us know

Bob
Administrator
Petswarehouse.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Spurl this Post!Reddit! Wong this Post!
Old 07-30-2002, 04:13 AM

Daemoniac is on a distinguished road

Dear Bob,
Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I have disguarded the two eggs that split open for the baby turtles inside died within a day or so, but I still have 3 left, which are the least collapsed and I can actually see the little turtles shells through the eggs shell, so I am expecting them to hatch very soon. Thanks for the advice!

Sincerely,
Dr. AL

Pet Lovers Forum > Reptile Forum > Reptile and Amphibians