Go Back   Pet Lovers Forum > Furry Friends > Small Animal Forum
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Small Animal Forum Discuss ferrets, sugar gliders, degu, hedgehog, chinchilla, rabbit, rat, mouse, prairie dog, pot bellied pig, or other furry critter Q&A.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2001, 06:18 PM

Default Re: kitty litter as bedding for guinea pig?

I was wondering if anyone knows if it is OK to use kitty litter (the clumping kind) as the bedding for a guinea pig's cage? The pet store in our town only sells pine and cedar chips as bedding. I got them to order me some corn cob bedding and it works well but is quite expensive.
I wonder if kitty litter is too dusty for the guinea pig to be in all day?
Can anyone help me?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Spurl this Post!Reddit! Wong this Post!
Old 08-01-2001, 06:30 PM

I would never use clumping litter for cats let alone a small animal. Clumping litters have clay in them and if swallowed can be very dangerous for animals. I would suggest aspen shavings or litters such as yesterday's news. Yesterday's news is made out of recycled newspaper and is a safe bedding to use.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Spurl this Post!Reddit! Wong this Post!
Old 08-02-2001, 10:04 AM

kitty litter is very harmful even if it is nonfregrand. Pine and cedar are not good to use either. I would suggest that for the safety of the guinea pigs its best to get the corn bedding even if its expensive
Old 08-02-2001, 01:22 PM

Corn cob isn't that expensive. I always buy either aspen or corn cob. It is usually only a dollar or two more expensive. Have you looked for any feed stores around your area? Any town close to the country will have one. Feed stores are very cheap. I get #30 of aspen bedding for $13. Look in your phone book for feed stores and see if there is one near you. Walmart also sells bedding. Walmart is always cheaper than any pet store.
Old 08-13-2001, 11:05 AM

I always used old newspaper, or little shavings of it. That always worked the best, and it is very inexpensive.

Carly Rae

Pet Lovers Forum > Furry Friends > Small Animal Forum