Go Back   Pet Lovers Forum > Furry Friends > Small Animal Forum
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Small Animal Forum Discuss ferrets, sugar gliders, degu, hedgehog, chinchilla, rabbit, rat, mouse, prairie dog, pot bellied pig, or other furry critter Q&A.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2002, 03:00 PM

cathy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What is the best bedding for rabbits?

Rabbit lovers,please share your ownership experience with us. Let us know the age of your bunnies,the breed(s) (if known), the length of time and the type of bedding they have been exposed to while in your care.

Cathleen
Director customer service PetsWarehouse
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Spurl this Post!Reddit! Wong this Post!
Old 12-12-2002, 08:03 AM

Randi is on a distinguished road

Name: Pinto Bean (Pinto, for short)

Breed: English Spot

Bedding: Pine, I've had him since 12/8, but he's been on pine for 3 years

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Spurl this Post!Reddit! Wong this Post!
Old 12-29-2002, 12:14 AM

ash is on a distinguished road

For Christmas this year I bought a Netherland Dwarf for my daughter (from breeder, not petshop). His name was Micky, she changed it to buttercup. He is three and will be four in March. He use to show, but because of a tiny dot in his eye he was retired. He is very sweet!! I use the same litter as the breeder and that is wood fuel pellets. Ash
Old 01-07-2003, 06:37 AM

annatripodi is on a distinguished road

Timothy hay or alfalfa hay is probably the safest bet! Mine love it.
Old 05-22-2003, 05:34 PM

bunnievixen is on a distinguished road

I have been involved with rabbits for about six years now, and have worked in a rabbitry as well as kept them myself. My current lineup:

1. Bun, Male English Spot, 6 years old
2. Wishkah, Spayed Female New Zealand/Chinchilla cross, 4 years old
3. Kuma, Neutered Male English Spot, 2 years old
4. Hannah, Spayed Female English Spot, 3 and a half years old
5. Baby Bun, Neutered Male English Spot, 4 or 5 years old

And there was Cinnamon, Spayed Female New Zealand/Chinchilla cross, 3/99 - 6/02.

Rabbit urine is rather potent, and can easily overwhelm an indoor space. For my rabbit's litterpans I have tried newspaper, corncob litter, clay, Carefresh, pelleted aspen, a pellet called Cell-sorb plus, and Yesterday's news rabbit litter.

The winner of this contest hands down was the Yesterday's news. It is absorbant and controls the odors marvellously. The downside was that it was expensive. However, the Yesterday's News cat litter (unscented, regular texture) is the exact same product for a better value (about three times the poundage for the money!) so now I buy the 30lb bags of that.

At the rabbitry, they used to use pine shavings, but I would not recommend using aromatic softwoods like pine or cedar because as many people are aware, both have been linked to liver problems in rabbits. My choice for wood shavings is aspen, which I use for my hamsters, but would not use for my rabbits since they urinate much more (and I don't find wood shavings to have that much absorbancy).

Emma
Old 02-09-2004, 11:50 AM

Victoria is on a distinguished road

I have 2 Dwarf/Dutch type rabbits. Just guessing because of their appearence. They are about 5 months old. One is a seal point color & the other is all grey. They are rescues. I have had them for about 2 months. I use 3 way hay or Timothy hay for the bedding.
Victoria
Old 02-28-2004, 03:56 PM

calico23 is on a distinguished road

I have a holland lop, 9 month old girl, and I use swheat scoop small animal litter and LOVE it. no way am I ever going back to another kind of bedding because this stuff is amazing! lol is clumping so its easy to clean, it is completly safe, and all natural, it is litterally made of wheat the natural enzymes eliminate odor not mask it, and the natural starches clump the litter, it is certified flushable, and biodegradable. no chemicals or added preservitives, its completly safe for your bunny to much on because well its wheat. lol I love the stuff!

shayna and the mighty big crew!

smudge(piggie) and Kari(rabbit)
Old 03-29-2004, 09:46 AM

angelshelper81 is on a distinguished road

Eep, calico! I hope you don't let your bunny run around with any guinea pigs. Their big back legs are so strong that they can KILL a guinea pig, by accident, if they get startled and kick or stomp.

Pet Lovers Forum > Furry Friends > Small Animal Forum