Go Back   Pet Lovers Forum > Tropical Fish Forums > African Cichlids
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2002, 11:04 PM

Default Re: epson salt and baking soda =PH and hardness

where that u can use epson salt and baking soda to emulate the water chemistry in the african rift lakes. Now I did know about raising the PH with baking soda, a teaspoon per 10 gal. I think, but the epson salt,no. How do you use these two in conjuction to raise the PH and hardness, How much do u use ? I've just added Arogonite to my Tanks. the ph outta my faucet comes out at 7.0 even and the hardness is around 6kh so I'm attempting to raise both any input would be appreciated thanks Pete
:cool:
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Spurl this Post!Reddit! Wong this Post!
Old 01-26-2002, 01:54 AM

I think I'd wait a little longer and let the aragonite do its work. If you just added it, it might take a bit for it to buffer your water. There are plenty of recipes out there for 'cichlid salt' mixes, but I stay with proven brand as by the time you buy all the stuff needed and measure and mix, and blah blah blah...Well, it just takes waaaaay too much time IMO.

I just have better things to do than to run around town gathering all this stuff (takes more than just epson salts and baking soda), when one trip to PW's catalog and I'm done. If you get creative with your searches here on the forum, I think it was Somonas who had his own recipe he used that worked quite well.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Spurl this Post!Reddit! Wong this Post!
Old 01-26-2002, 05:51 AM

RePeteMore,

The recipe is:

1 tablespoon Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate)
1 teaspoon baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
1 teaspoon aquarium salt (sodium chloride)

per 5 gallons water. These three items are readily available, non-toxic (in moderation) and easy to handle. Especially the water part [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img].

Hardness is a function of both carbonate and magnesium+calcium. Carbonate content is called carbonate hardness, and magnesium and calcium content is called permanent hardness. Together they make up total hardness.

Alkalinity is only a function of carbonate.

That's why the recipe has both Epsom salts and baking soda. Sodium won't raise the hardness, and magnesium and calcium bicarbonates are not readily available.

But I do agree to let the other stuff do it's thing before adding anything more. It's very easy to make water chemistry adjustments faster than the total tank chemistry (water plus rock plus whatever) can respond.
Old 01-26-2002, 10:20 PM

Thanks for the suggestions will do I'll wait for the subsrate to do it's job than test the waters to see if it still needs adjusting thanks Sandra and Jim Pete :cool:

Pet Lovers Forum > Tropical Fish Forums > African Cichlids