Go Back   Pet Lovers Forum > Tropical Fish Forums > Freshwater Plus discus
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2003, 11:55 AM

un4got10Xtacy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: any cool freshwater fish?

im not exactly the fish expert.... give me a few months - are there any neat freshwater fish like a type of shark or lion fish or something.... My other tank was a little dull - i want to go all out on this tank. I want some awesome fish and i want to make it the best home possible for them. Thanks for any help.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Spurl this Post!Reddit! Wong this Post!
Old 01-14-2003, 04:28 AM

angelbound31 is on a distinguished road

What size tank do you have?
Frontosa's are really need fish, although they get large and you need a good size tank (45+) These fish are striped with big 'bumps' on their foreheads. I'm also a big fan of Striped or spotted raphael cat fish, however they hide and only come out at night. Any of the small cichlid assortments, most come in very briliant colors (bright yellow,blues..etc.).
Those are a couple just off the top of my head.
susan
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Spurl this Post!Reddit! Wong this Post!
Old 01-14-2003, 10:14 AM

SHUEZQ is on a distinguished road

If you want something with color and long fins, you could consider Threadfin Rainbowfish. Cichlids are colorful like saltwater fish, but are aggressive to each other. Care needs to be taken with which ones are put together. Some people also like Gouramies and come in many color varieties. Again, these are semi-aggressive.

NO ONE CONFUSES ME--I DO IT MYSELF!
Old 01-16-2003, 07:38 AM

JenLeeWoo is on a distinguished road

Black Knife ghostfishes are really neat. They are very unique in the way they swim, with a long undulating ventral fin. They are shy, especially at first, but do gradually start to come out during the day. I have read that they can be taught to take food from your hand, but I haven't tried it. You would want to have a large tank though, as they can get to more than 12 inches in length.

60 gallon Freshwater aquarium with: 1 golden Angel, 2 Black Knife Ghostfishes, 1 Plecostamus, 2 Harlequins, 1 Golden Algae Eater, 2 White Clouds, 1 Corey Catfish, 3 clown loaches, 8 Mollies.

www.angelfire.com/trek/jenleewoo
Old 01-17-2003, 04:02 PM

mctroth is on a distinguished road

One fresh water fish I have always enjoyed is the Rope or Reed fish. The yare like eels are water snakes. Get to be about 10 in long. They seem to do well in any sized tank adn are tollerant of most water conditions. They are pretty docile. I especially like them in pairs. They play together and will almost always "hang out" together. They also have great faces. They are about my favorite unique freshwater fish. You can usually find them at good fish stores and they run about $12.00. PS they are jumpers so make sure to keep you lid closed and cover any opening in your lid. Enjoy.
Old 01-23-2003, 02:42 AM

Hockey122 is on a distinguished road

I would give a word of warning regarding reed fish. From what I have heard, (I was going to buy a couple) they will eat anything they can fit in their mouth. I went an alternative route that I found to be nicer. I chose the dragon fish. He is a member of the goby family and mine is kept in freshwater. They are a filter feeder and are completely docile. He has never bothered anyone and he is in with danios and small tetras as well as really big fish. You can look at their picture, I tried to put it in the listing if that does not work, you can see him at www.jacksonsphotography.com/dragon_fish_2001.htm
You need the whole name, it isn't linked in my site.[img]www.jacksonsphotography.com/dragon_fish_2001.htm[/img]
Old 04-05-2003, 02:57 PM

aussie_lover is on a distinguished road

a very unusual and unique fresh water fish is the dolphin fish. Although I do not know much about them I do know that their feeding habit is very unique. They go crazy over blood worms and use their long, elephant like nose (actually thier chin) to whack up the blood worm and into thier mouth. Another interesting fish are the leaf fish. They change colour when they feel threatened and look very similar to a leaf. Again I do not know too much upkeep information on these fish but I do know that they eat white clouds and other small feeder fish, so I would think that they may be semi-aggressive. Hope this helps. I also do not know how many petstores carry these fish.
Old 04-05-2003, 03:11 PM

Tersname is on a distinguished road

For exciting fish I am a firm believer of "the bigger the better". I'd go with South American Cichlids. They rely on big tanks. They eat live fish. It is always cool to watch the hunt.

Pet Lovers Forum > Tropical Fish Forums > Freshwater Plus discus